Success is only reserved for those who value their dreams and goals over their excuses. – Peter Voogd
Research shows the average worker is said to be interrupted seventy three times everyday. And once there is an interruption, statistics tells us it takes about twenty minutes to get back to the level of concentration that we were at prior to the disruption.
So how can you become highly productive and more focused in your life and business? The following 10 tips are just some of the things that highly productive people do everyday. Try one or a couple of these tips and let us know how they work for you.
1. Prioritize. Highly productive people do the tough things first so that they can accomplish them first thing in the day. Once you accomplish the most important things first, you have more confidence to achieve other tasks and goals that you have set out for the day. Setting a to-do list each night will help you to prioritize what tasks need to get done for the next day.
2. Stop Multitasking. Our brains weren’t designed to multitask. We might think we can do it all, and do it all successfully; however according to MIT neuroscientist Earl Miller our brains are “not wired to multitask well… when people think they’re multitasking, they’re actually just switching from one task to another very rapidly. And every time they do, there’s a cognitive cost.” Multitasking lowers your work quality and efficiency.
3. Delegate & Outsource As Much As Possible. Highly productive people know that they can’t do it all, face it we are all human and not machines. If there is something that you are not good at, don’t like doing or know someone who is better at doing the task you must consider to delegate it out and outsource it. Rule of thumb is that if it is not in your zone of genus, and someone can get it done faster and more efficient, delegate and outsource it.
4. Focus on Results Oriented Activities. How do people get so much done and become so productive? They focus on results oriented activities. When you achieve results it builds confidence and this confidence then creates momentum. What are some of your results oriented activities that you can focus on?
5. Eliminate All Distractions. Phones, TVs, Notifications all should be turned off! It can be so easy to get distracted but the key here is to set yourself up for success, and lock yourself in a room, if need be to get things done. Distractions are all around us, but if you are serious and committed to finishing something you must eliminate all distractions.
6. Just Start. Take Action. Nike’s motto “Just Do It ” is simple yet powerful. Many of us know what to do and can get overwhelmed, procrastinate and then just not do anything because our minds can’t handle the stress. The best way to eliminate overwhelm and procrastination is to just take action. Do something, anything. When you take small actions you then start to see it isn’t so bad. When you are stuck take one action to move you closer to your goals.
7. Plan Out The Week Ahead. Highly productive people always have a plan. They know what to do and when they are going to do it. The best way to intend to have a successful week is to take Sunday nights and plan for the week ahead. You will feel more relaxed, calm and productive.
8. Find A Mentor & Learn How to Effectively Communicate. You are the average of the five people that you spend the most time with, isn’t that eye opening? Every successful, highly productive entrepreneur has a mentor or a group of people that they spend time with, receive guidance from and bounce ideas off of. This is extremely important in order for you to get to that next level. Also effective communication and building relationships are a non-negotiable in business, so make sure you get good at this and your business will elevate!
9. Learn to Say No. Our time and resources are sometimes limited and when entrepreneurs are first starting out they want to say yes to everything. Anything could be a potential opportunity; however if you are always saying yes at the expense of your time and resources you must learn to say no. Saying no is empowering and also sets boundaries that may need to be put in place to protect your time and energy. Learn how to say no, you can always go back and say yes and if you can’t go back to say yes, then the opportunity was not meant to be.
10. Set a Morning & Evening Routine. How you start and end your day is powerful. Specific routines must be in place in order for you to be productive. You must manage your mental focus, energy, time and resources the best way you know how and when you have a routine in the morning and evening it makes a huge difference. Your routine can be anything that serves you, helps you feel grounded, confidence and complete.
Would love to know what tip you are going to implement this week in your life?